The Denver Public Schools Review Committee is comprised of a cross-section of Library Media Specialists representing elementary, middle and high schools who apply each year to be a reviewer for DPS. The purpose of the committee is to review library materials for curricular value and relevance. A database of reviews exists to assist school Library Media Specialists in the selection of current, relevant material for school library media center collections.
Guidelines for Writing Reviews
- Summary - What is this book about? Report content.
- Flavor - Capture the "feel" of the book using vivid detail and description.
- Opinion - Why do you like/dislike the book? Explain giving concrete reasons.
- Critique - Assess the strength/weaknesses of the book. Evaluate writing style, scope of coverage, accuracy of information, and art or illustrations.
- Support Critique - Use concrete examples.
- Recommendation - Should match the review.
- Edit - Does the review flow? Capture interest from the beginning using vivid detail, exciting description, concise language and solid examples. Move through with a logical sequence.
Review Database Access
Please contact Karen Shannon, Review Committee Contact, at 720.423.1831 or Karen_Shannon@dpsk12.org
with any questions.