Educational research demonstrates that school libraries play a critical role in student achievement and college and career readiness. DPS Library Services supports the equitable development of Highly Effective School Libraries and library educators that facilitate communities of 21st Century inquiry and literacy. Visit the Colorado Department of Education’s Highly Effective School Library website or contact us to learn more about Denver Public Schools library staff that have earned HESL exemplars.
Library Services provides guidance and support for school library programs and schools related to:
- library policies
- budgeting and staffing
- diverse, responsive, reflective book collections (both print and eBook) and digital resources
- reading motivation programming that supports a culture of literacy in school communities
- professional development for the district’s Teacher Librarians, Paralibrarians and classroom teachers
- new school library construction, library redesigns and reorganizations
- 21st Century learning scope and sequence that integrates the 4Cs of communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creativity into the strands of information literacy/inquiry, digital citizenship and lifelong learning skills
- charter school library supports
When a new librarian is hired at your school, it is important that you inform ETLS so we can schedule training and share important supports, processes, and deadlines related to library mill levy funding. Please send an email to the Library Help Desk with the name and job code number of any new hires in the library as soon as possible.
- Deb Romero, Library Services Specialist