RIF has completely revamped their program. They no longer provide free books but they do offer a matching-funds online grant open to schools and community organizations nationwide. They accept grant applications usually in early summer (deadlines have not been determined) so if you are interested in applying you will need to check their Literacy Central website for details as to when you can submit your application – see information below. The grant is based on dollar to dollar matching so your organization must be able to acquire matching funds. For this grant, RIF does not consider the free and reduced lunch percentage of a school. Any school, no matter what their F&RL percentage is, can apply for the grant.
Here is a summary of what you need to know:
- A Letter of Agreement must be signed.
- Books are ordered from the RIF Bookstore.
- Hold at least two book events/distributions in your school or community over a 12-month period.
- Distribute a minimum of two books per child.
- You will spend $3/book.
- Incorporate Literacy Central’s digital resources in your book distribution events or supplementary classroom activities.
- Provide timely program data about your Books for Ownership events back to RIF National.
- In the past, the DPS RIF pin number was CO0082. We are unsure if you will need this information.
To access Literacy Central: 1) go to http://www.rif.org, 2) Click Literacy Resources, 3) Click Continue to Literacy Central.
- Grant Information: https://www.rif.org/literacy-network/grants/books-for-ownership
- Grant Overview: https://www.rif.org/literacy-network/programs/books-for-ownership#overview
- Grant Instructions: https://www.rif.org/sites/default/files/GrantInstructions.BooksForOwnership.pdf
- To reach Customer Services please email: email@example.com
Please be aware that you do not go through Library Services to apply for the RIF grant but instead you apply directly online through Literacy Central. For customer service needs or questions, please email the RIF Literacy Network. If you would like to speak to someone in Library Services about the RIF grant, please contact Deb Romero.